Odoo 16 was released on 12th October 2022 with immense new features and improvements to its various modules. Whether it is an improvement in user experience or the addition of new features in multiple modules, it extends many benefits to customers.
Consequently, many businesses are willing to leverage the new Odoo 16 by upgrading to the latest version.
Are you one of those? If you are, then this blog on Odoo 16 migration steps should be of great help to you.
Considerations Before Migrating to Odoo 16?
Before you attempt any migration steps, make sure you consider these things.
- Have you created a backup of your existing Odoo ERP data, modules, and apps? If not, you must create a backup before initiating any steps of migration as your files may get corrupted or damaged in the process. You can create a backup of your important files in the backup module. However, you have to remove any unwanted data and redundant data before creating a backup as your backup process will be lengthy.
- Did any of your Odoo modules have customization in place? If yes, you will need to customize them again separately after migration. But before that, you should see if the customizations done earlier have been added as default features or not, or if you still need such customizations for Odoo 16.
- In case you have manually updated the database, you will have to perform those manual changes after the migration process has been completed successfully. Any table columns you have added or removed have to be altered accordingly. You should also check that the database versions match before migrating to Odoo version 16.
- You should also consider the cost of migration before starting the process. If you are migrating to the Odoo community edition, you will have to pay for the technical help you receive alongside the cost of acquiring base and custom modules. However, if you are migrating to the enterprise edition, you will have to pay costs for the enterprise edition.
How to Migrate to Odoo 16?
Whenever you are migrating from any older Odoo version to the latest version, you have to migrate these three things mainly -
- Data migration - It includes any vendor details, migration reports, financial documents, etc.
- Module migration - Odoo ERP software has approximately 35 base modules including purchase, manufacturing, sales, HR, and so on. When you upgrade from older versions to Odoo 16 version, you will be able to utilize the newly added features of the various modules.
- App migration - Odoo app store has more than 10,000 applications available for use in its Enterprise edition. If your current Odoo version uses some of that or has customized apps, you will need to ensure that the apps work seamlessly with your latest Odoo version. If it doesn’t, you will need to customize the code to ensure the apps work as per your requirements.
Migration steps -
- First, create a request for a test upgrade.
- The upgrade script executes throughout the database, which may take anywhere between 20 to 120 minutes.
- Odoo ERP will deliver a test database for you. Make sure to check the database for any redundant data or discrepancies. In case of discrepancies, you will have to report the issue to the upgrade support team.
- Then, you will have to wait for the Odoo support team to respond to this issue with a new test database.
- After you have tested everything, freeze Odoo users to access the portal and make any changes in the portal. After you freeze data entries, you will need to send a production upgrade request.
- With the help of an automated procedure, Odoo ERP will send you the production database.
- After a few hours, you will be able to restore it in the production environment.
- Next, you will have to test the apps and modules in the relevant testing environment.
- After the testing is done, send an upgrade request again from your Odoo portal to complete the migration steps.
Once you have successfully migrated to the latest version, you will be able to leverage the Odoo version 16 to your satisfaction. You will be upgraded to the latest version and users will be able to use the dashboard with newer features.
However, these steps can be complex and time-consuming at the same time. Thus, hiring skilled Odoo developers can be a much-better option for you as you will get the needed technical assistance for the job.